Tuesday 8 October 2019




salt marsh
sea grass
radio ship
island of plastic scum 
distant egrets
overhead hovering
the oppressive weight of silence

all along the time worn gullies up the mud track 
farm machinery in use but no humans are visible 
just the thrum of a tractor and the semi audible shriek of some distant children
a few last swallows come in and out of view at Shingle Point, why, I wonder
have these birds not flown yet? 

distant scum
radio egrets
circling plane
sea hovering
oppressive ship
blown grass
rural outpost, humans are rare


up in the village a person I recognise steps out of the past, we make our way simultaneously by 
coincidence towards the village shop; our lives run parallel for a brief moment. We part on entry to the shop but are reunited in the check-out queue, she is buying a can of mushroom soup for one: me, sliced cheddar and some Jacobs crackers, I remember her from when I was a small boy. She doesn’t register who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment